Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Being Punjabi

A certain blog post gone viral , an open letter to a Delhi Boy, specifically a very Punjabi Delhi Boy had me thinking. I’m not from Delhi, never even lived there, but whenever I’ve stayed there for any length of time, the place feels excessively familiar. It’s the Naarth, and most people speak in a very familiar accent. There is a certain Punjabiness about the place, from the food(which is awesome) to the way people behave in traffic to the way people spend money, and also unfortunately the way people stare at women. This viral post (has a 1000+ comments right now) generalizes to a fault and has attracted vitriol from many defenders of the faith and rational commentators who point out that she well spews hatred and makes too much fun of Punjabis. The open letter is funny in places, and I agree with her about certain things, but gets a little nasty sometimes (the Gurpurab and partition references).

Reminded me however, that I am Punjabi. Specifically a Punjabi Brahmin. Almost seems like a contradiction, ‘cause Punjabis are supposed to be overtly masculine and Brahmins are well...not. Also, reminds me of the time I read in an old sociological study while researching for my project that Punjab is one of the few places that the Brahmin is not dominant, in fact rarely owns land and most are priests or petty shopkeepers. At least my ancestors were in no position to oppress anyone unlike some others( Hint: Tambrahms :) ). There are however, certain Punjabi stereotypes that don’t come off too well on me. As a friend pointed out, “You can’t be Punjabi.” “Why?” “ You well, READ!” I can be loud, I put lots of white butter on my pronthas, I relish rajma-chawal( and BUTTER CHICKEN) , am prone to breaking into bhangra in quad parties when a Punjabi song comes on, I can atleast understand the language, but I have committed the cardinal crime of being “intellactual”( said in a strong Punjabi accent). I was the toast of all my buas and masis and chachis for being the only child to be found reading in a corner when all others were busy playing something or the other. I can’t drink great quantities of alcohol without being affected, can’t play sports to save my life, and try not to lech at girls on the street. When I meet ‘REAL’ Punjabi cousins I don’t like it when they drive their cars having downed pegs of whiskey playing very loud music and driving very fast. (especially when those cousins are fifteen years old). I don’t think it is my right to control my sister’s and every other female cousin’s life because I am their big brother.

On the other hand, I love Punjabi weddings , with their sheer ostentatiousness and spirit of celebration with the whole extended family, and the bloody incredible food( and hopefully for me in the future, alcohol). I am obsessed with Pakistan, actually just Lahore, because my grandparents came across the border. I love it when they talk in Urdu sounding Hindi, or when my relatives from Gurdaspur( who never came from across the border) call a Minister a ‘wazir’ rather than a ‘mantri’. For that is my heritage, to all those who call Punjab’s culture agriculture, I would like to point out the stunning Punjabi poetry ( Bulleh Shah, Shiv Kumar Batalvi) which has come to me via Rabbi, and my mom, who explains them to me. Having learnt Hindustani classical music I appreciate things like the Patiala Gharana and the stunning Sufi Punjabi heritage which also comes to me via Pakistan. No way can I disregard Bhangra, which is awesome to dance to, and which has had awesome things done to it in ‘Caneda’ and ‘UK’ by overseas Punjabis. For after all, culture is not the exclusive preserve of the Bengalis. And only in Punjab do you have things like Gurudwaras which give away free meals as langar. I also remember the time in a train when Hindu pilgrims from Ludhiana going to Haridwar shared food with the entire bogie. And the language in the state is awesome, unlike Delhi where they just speak Hindi with a Punjabi accent.

I am Punjabi, and I’m not Sikh (though I have a few Sikh relatives). Why do I emphasize that? It’s pretty cool to be Sikh but I just am not, and I’m still Punjabi. We don’t wear Pugries and along with gurudwaras(everyone goes to Gurudwaras, the Golden temple is just incredible) go to temples too. We speak Punjabi, comprise 45% of the state’s population and exercise a pretty pervasive cultural influence(check Bollywood) but I still get the ‘how’re you Punjabi but not Sikh routine’.

Punjab to me was always Chandigarh. On moving to law school I saw the rest of it for the first time, and though there are certain things about it that I can’t stand, it is a pretty incredible place. Unlike the rest of the country, most people are not poor, people have a lot of money and love to spend it, and there’s a certain altitude to life which is fun. I may personally don’t feel that way because I’m too ‘intellactual’ for them and thus will always not be exactly like them. But there is a certain part of me that is, and I think that’s pretty great.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you Akshay for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Is the first Anonymous here also Aruj?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sexkay, not only are you an intellactual, you're also a slap in the face of all Punju stereotypes. Very well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing...I must appreciate the personal touch and the way its a slap to all those who like to stereotype a culture, happily ignoring its plurality :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very well written Akshay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slightly unrelated, but on the topic of loving your culture, do look this up:
    http://browngirlsdontsingtheblues.blogspot.com/2008/11/you-bring-out-up-walli-in-me.html

    I thought having lived in UP you might also associate with some, I love love love the vivid imagery she uses. My absolute favourites is the line "the show-off-I-got-100-out-of-100 in me...".
    The poem comes across as bursting with smells and sounds and textures. Sadly the blogger has been inactive for a long time now :(

    The original (http://puisipoesy.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-bring-out-mexican-in-me.html) is quite fabulous-sounding too, but I get only a handful of references there without Google's aid. :P

    P.S. Might not be the most responsible thing to tell week before exams, but I also love what Brown Girl writes about Dilli in her other posts. Have a read sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome post, and incredible blog. The way she writes is beautiful, earthy and sexy. I love vivid writing, and the way even her other posts are, remind me of people like Rushdie and Ghosh, two very different writers but equally brilliant at evoking sounds, images, smells...
    And yes, thanks to living in UP, I get most of the references.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On sensuous writing, you can't leave out Marquez. What can you say of a man who starts a book with, "It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love" ?

    Haven't read any Ghosh, but I know what you mean about Rushdie. It's amazing the verve and confidence with which the man handles the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree there are things about Punjabis that I may not endorse but deep down I am proud to be a PUNJABI for sheer grit,enthusiasm for life and the never say die attitude. Also the spirit of enterprise. Very well written Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can really relate to a lot of things having stayed in bombay and bangalore for seven years... wreas in bombay they mistook me for a south indian as i insisted i am a brahmin married to a surd and southies very conveniently feigned the non existence of such a species.
    Adding on chandigarh is definitely not panjab. Rather very pseudo panju culture exists there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is slightly crazy - I have an exam in just about two hours but I am reading comments on that Delhi Boy whine and the replies to it. I guess I thought I was an 'intellectual' Punjabi as well but the sheer urge inside me to break that author's nose has also broken all my illusions about being less-brawn-more-brains too.

    I love this post. I am a Sikh with mostly Hindu Punjabi friends who you have represented totally accurately here. I lived outside Punjab when I was little and I have actually hung out with certain Mallus and Tamil Brahmins. They could never understand how my dad wore a turban but I sported a bob instead of a long plait with 'paraandi' and how I was smarter than some of them. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you.
    Haha, whatever that woman wrote inspired a lot of creativity and a lot of internet time wasting. Urges for violence are great, as long as you don't act on them, but that wouldn't be very Punjabi of you, would it.

    Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVEsayVGKA8
    Videos like these have made me realize that trying to break stereotypes in some cases is a lost cause. :D

    I've lived outside Punjab all my life and currently live in South India so I live with Gults, Kannadigas, Mallus, Tamil Brahmins and non-Brahmins and they're all pretty cool. Though Punjabi moms seem to believe everyone in the South is smart,I've realized I'm smarter than most of them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really well-written piece Akshay... You're quite good!

    ReplyDelete