Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Too Late

Putting something off. Procrastination. Everyone does it. Some people more than others. I’d like to think I’m one of those people who’ve made it an art form. There are certain things you keep putting off again and again before you eventually do them because they just have to be done. For example, a project has to be submitted eventually, for if you don’t you have to do that subject next year. But there are certain things you put off, so well, that you end up never doing them, because there’s nobody holding a gun to your head forcing you to do them. Three months ago, based on an email conversation with a friend, I set out to write a blog post. So, the obsessive wikipedia reader that I am, I was sent an xkcd comic which apart from making fun of people who look up wikipedia for everything, pointed out that if I start clicking on the first link in the text of any wikipedia article and continue clicking on the first link of every corresponding page(excluding italics and parentheses) I would reach the wikipedia page on philosophy. The route I took, to get to the philospophy entry was so funny, I thought I should write a blog post about it, and there it is set out below.

Scooby-Doo!_The_Mystery_Begins
Warner_Premiere
Direct-to-video
Film
Recording
Process
Milk
Mammary_gland
Organ_(anatomy)
Biology
Natural_science
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property_(philosophy)
Modern_philosophy
Philosophy

Postponing writing a blog post seems hardly alarming but I realize I’m running away from a variety of things and not doing them at all. I, for one, procrastinate, when something becomes a burden, a task I have to do, soon, and I just don’t do it, and shut it out of my mind. Sometimes pushing the thought away means I’ve procrastinated about something to the extent that I can’t go back, I’m too far gone, I have to face the consequences of my actions. And then I regret, because unlike writing a blog post, there are some things that once put off, cannot be repaired. It seemed easier at the time, but if I’d tackled it head on, I wouldn’t have replayed the scenario over and over in my head and wondered ‘what if’.

1 comment:

  1. You should also check this out:D http://xkcd.com/214/

    ReplyDelete